Skip to main content

You are the only exception

So CTs were a trainwreck. Nothing's new these days. Just glad it's over.

Finally calling my grandma today made me a sad sad girl. I felt like such an inadequate person talking to her, listening to her about her life. I don't feel good about myself when I ask how much time I have spent with her, made the effort to call her when I'm rattling off on MSN with people I see everybody. Filial piety is so much more than just loving someone, but doing something for them. And it really scares me when she talks about death, that it seems like she lost a will for something. Becoming her listening ear for that short while even, I see so many underlying feelings in my family that I've never seen, never felt, never heard. Guess I'm just oblivious to everything sometimes huh.

Makes me think, how people with the excess capacity can live so comfortably while others struggle with everyday minute tasks.

It struck me so hard, my grandma's despondency mired in all her rantings at even the smallest things. Someone happy does not gripe at the things that seem to fade into the background when there are so many more attention grabbing things. And when she said happiness comes from seeings us do well, I don't think I've ever been so touched. Just wished I could do more for her, wished that I could go back to when I was 4, when I called her every single day, listening to her joy.

I guess despite all my gripings of being fat, of being pimply, of failings, of inadequacies, I don't think I want to be anyone else, anywhere else, with any other family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

German's the first module in a long long time that I've taken that requires hardcore mugging. I think I forgot how to memorize and hardcore mug. Godbless my headache.  Peace.

Really?

It's been almost 5 months since the trip to Cambodia, but, it doesn't nearly feel as long as that. It's probably cheesy to say that it's changed me for life, but I think that it has. Everytime I receive an email related to the orphange in Cambodia, I tend to reminisce about the whole experience there. It's almost awesomely weird that I can get so attached to people I've talked to, spent time with for only a few days. I guess, there's a sense of genuiness in what they say. No lies, no cover-ups. Getting through the initial awkwardness of shyness, of inhibition, makes it all the more fulfilling maybe. That Vimol and Sok Heng treated me as a friend, talked to me as friend to friend despite being strangers at the start of the day and despite the relative language barriers warms my heart. That Titu and Narin help out in every way that they can with all the smiles and laughter, makes me feel like I should be cheerful and happy 24/7. But I guess, realising that...

Take this sinking ship and point it home; We've still got time (Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová, Falling Slowly)

I just realised the reality of informing parents that I, their dear daughter, has failed Chem twice in a row. 43%. And that isn't a pretty picture. Its a son-of-a-bitch of a reality. It's always at this point of time wherein I panic, and regret not studying harder, though I can't quite change anything already. That panic should probably kick in 1 month before the exams where I actually can do something. Pity my reaction system is a tad delayed. And I don't seem to have conditioned to the idea of: Panic way before exam > Study > Do relatively ok > Happily ever after. It's probably also not good that I don't think critically enough. Observing and thinking should be natural. Just not coming to me. So there was a talk on how to write personal statements. So people get coached on how to write personal statements. Any random person's personal statement can be transformed from a bland boring one into a pretty, inspiring, lovely, memorable, unique one with ...