Skip to main content

2011. *waves goodbye*


And so that's the end of 2011. The year with the most tears splattered at home. The year with the most arguments with my dad. The year with the most cold wars fought.

My mom called me emo girl today. I've honestly never felt that of myself before. Do I really put on a sulky face everyday at home? Smiling and laughing everyday outside must be more tiring than I thought. Time to reflect and prioritise better.

No matter the lousy happenings of the year, it's been a year where I've seen more of the world than I've had in the past 18 years of my life.

January 2011 was by and large uneventful and some part of me is grateful for that. There weren't events that I would want to cement in memory. But there was peace. Though it does go down as the month where I first got my first official job. Relief taught at De La Salle Primary school for awhile. Different physical location, but the aura is still the same.

February was a joke. A month I wished would fade into oblivion, though sadly I know it won't. There were unnecessary spats, mean words exchanged, spiteful conversations. Chinese New Year happened. One of those years where the celebrations meant nothing with my parents at war. Relatives trying to be nicely concerned, and asking how I felt about exams, what did I forsee myself pursuing in the university, where did I see myself going. Key word: Trying.

All I remember from March was me waking up at 630 everyday to go to school. Not as a student, but as a teacher. But, all the same to learn. Yes, teaching was learning too. Time started to mesh together. Tired was I this month. Tired but happy. Waking up early everyday, staying back in school everyday, sleeping early everyday not because I want to but because I expanded all my energy. I know some people say that this 8 month long break is one of the only times you'll truly have time with your family, and that quality time should be spent with them, not working for a pay to spend. But, I truly feel that I made the right choice. Never felt so fulfilled ever.

Watched my first live concert in April 2011! Best part of it? Maroon 5. Dies. Loves. One can really get addicted to the atmosphere. Blinding lights, blasting music, choruses of thousands of voices. Adam Levine. Period.




// To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take this sinking ship and point it home; We've still got time (Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová, Falling Slowly)

I just realised the reality of informing parents that I, their dear daughter, has failed Chem twice in a row. 43%. And that isn't a pretty picture. Its a son-of-a-bitch of a reality. It's always at this point of time wherein I panic, and regret not studying harder, though I can't quite change anything already. That panic should probably kick in 1 month before the exams where I actually can do something. Pity my reaction system is a tad delayed. And I don't seem to have conditioned to the idea of: Panic way before exam > Study > Do relatively ok > Happily ever after. It's probably also not good that I don't think critically enough. Observing and thinking should be natural. Just not coming to me. So there was a talk on how to write personal statements. So people get coached on how to write personal statements. Any random person's personal statement can be transformed from a bland boring one into a pretty, inspiring, lovely, memorable, unique one with ...

Old women acting as students

So Class Learning Journey yesterday. Doubt we learnt anything watching old women acting as students - according to Kenneth - though. Most of us anyways. Not much of a bonding session for the class either. But, 'twas fun taking lesbian shots in front of Valentine's Day displays with Elizabeth and Tingfang and getting laughed at by blading chubby ang mohs. My dad really intends for me to study engineering o0. Highly doubt I'm going to do it, but I'm not saying anything more than a 'maybe I will' now. Wait until my results come back, then I'll launch into a quarrel with him lalalala. Pointless to do it now anyways. Need to study firsttt. Amazing how I'm wasting my time away in front of the computer. And the only B I got during promos - for GP, probably is down the drain now, seeing how my essay got torn apart by Miss Tan ):

Really?

It's been almost 5 months since the trip to Cambodia, but, it doesn't nearly feel as long as that. It's probably cheesy to say that it's changed me for life, but I think that it has. Everytime I receive an email related to the orphange in Cambodia, I tend to reminisce about the whole experience there. It's almost awesomely weird that I can get so attached to people I've talked to, spent time with for only a few days. I guess, there's a sense of genuiness in what they say. No lies, no cover-ups. Getting through the initial awkwardness of shyness, of inhibition, makes it all the more fulfilling maybe. That Vimol and Sok Heng treated me as a friend, talked to me as friend to friend despite being strangers at the start of the day and despite the relative language barriers warms my heart. That Titu and Narin help out in every way that they can with all the smiles and laughter, makes me feel like I should be cheerful and happy 24/7. But I guess, realising that...