Skip to main content

Really?



It's been almost 5 months since the trip to Cambodia, but, it doesn't nearly feel as long as that. It's probably cheesy to say that it's changed me for life, but I think that it has.

Everytime I receive an email related to the orphange in Cambodia, I tend to reminisce about the whole experience there. It's almost awesomely weird that I can get so attached to people I've talked to, spent time with for only a few days. I guess, there's a sense of genuiness in what they say. No lies, no cover-ups. Getting through the initial awkwardness of shyness, of inhibition, makes it all the more fulfilling maybe. That Vimol and Sok Heng treated me as a friend, talked to me as friend to friend despite being strangers at the start of the day and despite the relative language barriers warms my heart. That Titu and Narin help out in every way that they can with all the smiles and laughter, makes me feel like I should be cheerful and happy 24/7.



But I guess, realising that their warmth and happiness is always greeted with people like us entering and leaving their lives in 2 weeks is saddening. It's almost like no one is a permanent fixture in their lives, everybody just comes and go. Even as we bring joy to them for that short while, we take it away just nearly as quickly when we magically disappear from their lives, maybe permanently. How they feel about it isn't something I want to venture into and feel I guess. While they've made an imprint on my life, the fact that it is a possibility that I may never ever see them again, never find out what happens to them, never talk to them again, makes it all the more bittersweet.



Receiving updates from the people there, make me realise how much I pine to go back there. And I think that, I will make it a reality sometime in the future. But I fully realise that my life still belongs here. That I don't think I'll be able to leave my family, friends, studies/job to commit myself entirely for an entire year there. Maybe I'm just selfish and hypocritical like that.


No matter what changes, there are still memories from the trip that I won't ever forget. Learning to saw with a 2-way saw; Being all alone in the room with Tingfang and bitching and talking and laughing; Conversationing while doing our laundry in the open; Throwing water down at a random dude working at HTC I didn't even know; Getting tree sap stains all over our clothes; Feeling hot in the sleeping bag and chillingly cold outside of it at night; Hammering my thumb over and over and over again; Eating out of packet food right under the sun; Chatting on the swing in the orphange; Walking to the coffeeshop along the road; Watching the shooting stars ... ...

Makes me regret not taking more photos and keeping a diary, so that when I'm old and senile these memories don't fade away and I get to share it with my senile other half and the children and grandchildren. Hah. Secret fantasy of mine.
I guess, this is why, I shall start on a scrapbook of sorts soon :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing ever really gets me down, other than when I feel that I am not wanted. One of the saddest moments is when someone isn't happy to see you. Body language tells a whole story on it's own. How pathetic is it that someone you barely know can raise a bigger smile. I hate life in university sometimes. None of the lecturers, professors, doctors, tutors, teaching assistants really care if you do well. Their job is to come to lesson, dictate the information word by word. If you are smart enough to question what you're learning, what you're doing then good for you. If you aren't, then try your best to tread water and not drown in the ocean. For the next 4 years. I don't understand how one can improve and learn from mistakes when tests don't even come back, not even results. Are we supposed to just bumble our way around? How am I supposed to know if I'm doing things right or wrong. Throwing people into tests without any practices just doesn't make an
FUCKING HORRIBLE ENGLISH When I was younger, my mind was made up that if my parents divorced, I would follow my mom. Now that I am older, I see so much my dad's been through, and all I want him to know is that no matter what happens I'm here for him. To me, my dad's like God. Nothing can be too difficult for him. Seeing him so affected by everything that's happened (vague but I can't describe anything either because there are so many legal implications) makes me really upset. There's nothing much I can do except be his listening ear now and then, be his errands boy, and support all his decisions. I think it's rather upsetting that my mom is being so unsupportive. I'm really tired going back and forth the hospital. Will things get better from now? ): We get older, we see more of the ugly realities of life. I used to think that this life is mine. I make my own decisions, and I would go to any lengths to get what I want, disregarding what others